WiseBizz - Your online resource for success in both home and office business matters...

Your Number 1 Stop For Business Resources

Idea - Execution - Results

Road Accident Compensation

Road Accident Compensation

Road Accident Compensation: A Step-By-Step Guide

Road accident compensation cases are amongst the most common personal injury claims made. A large number of people injured on Britainís road each year are eligible some kind of claim. The important thing to remember is that you will need to prove negligence in order to receive any compensation so it is vital that you get as much supporting evidence for your claim as you can.

This means immediately after the accident you will need to try and remember to do a few basic things that will help support your claim. This can be difficult as you may be suffering from shock and/or injury but if you can try and remember some of these actions they will support your case. Immediately after the accident it is important that you take down the personal details of the other driver/s involved in the accident. Exchange names and addresses, registration number and insurance details. Involve the police if necessary, and take names and addresses of any witnesses.


Do not make any admissions of liability under any circumstances. Note the registration numbers, models and makes of the cars involved and damage caused to your vehicle and others. Take a photograph of the damage to your car if possible. Draw a rough sketch of the accident and write down as much information about the accident as you can on returning home. It’s also important to notify your insurance company as soon as you can and if any injury was involved then pass details to the police. If you have been hurt then it is important to see a GP or doctor as soon as possible and keep any records of this as they may be used in your road accident compensation case.

If you have been injured and feel that it was not your fault then it would be worth making a claim. Your insurance company will be able to advise you and may suggest using a lawyer. They will often recommend one from a panel they use but you are under no obligation to accept this and can instruct your own. If you are unhappy with your insurance company’s advice then you can go to a Citizen’s Advice Bureau or Local Law Centre. If the other driver admits liability it is a relatively simple matter of settling the amount of road accident compensation that you are entitled to; but if they deny liability you may have to resort to legal action.